After a marathon reading session into the wee hours of the morn, I am done. Let the discussion begin. To prevent unwanted spoilage, click below.
Initial thoughts (in no particular order; more to come I’m sure):
- Did she really have to kill Hedwig in the first, what was it, like six pages? Good grief. I know it was later than that, but it sure seemed like an early first of many gratuitous murders.
- How about that crazy fire spell in the last room of requirement?! Holy crap. And to come from such a goober as Crabbe. Or was it Goyle? Oh, who cares? They’re virtually the same.
- If you didn’t get choked up, tear up, chest swollen with emotion, something!, when Dobby was killed and then when Harry is digging the grave and then the boys hop down and help him with spades of their own… you have no heart. Stop reading this. You need to leave. I want no part of you in this discussion.
- I really like how Rowling tied things together at the end with Harry dying, but not dying.
- Though at the end when everybody and their mom (go Mrs. Weasley cussing out Bellatrix! (Was any one else totally taken back by that? IN ALL CAPS, no less.)) was in on the battle (the Giants, the Centaurs, the Thestrals, etc.), felt a bit over the top. Kinda like the Battle of Five Armies at the end of the Hobbit. Let’s bring in every character who’s still alive and has ever played any semblance of a role in this series.
- But Neville. Holy crap. Way to go man. From taking over Hogwarts, to chucking poisonous plant life over the battlements, to freaking CHOPPING OFF THE HEAD OF VOLDEMORT’S SNAKE right in front of him. Oh man. Chills.
- Dug that Kreacher led the House Elves. Cool.
Now I imagine Slothy will gloat that he nailed the predictions of who lives and dies. You got lucky.
So what say you? Thoughts, questions? Anything left unresolved, other than Harry’s Ron’s and Hermione’s occupations?